In 2017, a $50,000 gift was given to the Champaign County Library in memory of Karen Kerns Dresser to establish a Makerspace. The Makerspace, called the Imagine Lab, offers the public access to a wide variety of technology and do-it-yourself equipment. This included 3D printers, heat press, wide format printer, sewing equipment, along with small coding robots, hands-on technology kits, and media conversion equipment. By helping the public learn and practice new skills, the lab supports the mission to encourage lifelong learning and community interaction.
Using the Imagine Lab
First Time Users
- A valid Champaign County Library card is required by anyone that uses the Imagine Lab.
If you do not have a library card, you can register online HERE.
- A signed release form must be on file for each user. (a link to download the form is available at the bottom of this page)
- See the details for the piece of equipment you are interested in using for information on cost, materials needed, etc.
- Anyone under 18 must have a parent's signature for a library card and the Imagine Lab Release Form.
- Anyone under 13 must have a parent with them while in the Lab.
- The lab is open limited hours, by appointment only.
- The library is currently short-staffed, so please be patient with us as we work with you to schedule an appointment.
- Make a reservation by contacting the library at 937-653-3811 or sending an email to email@example.com
- Reservations are for one hour. If you are planning on doing a large project, please let us know so we can schedule your appointment accordingly.
- If you would like to make an appointment to learn a piece of equipment, please let us know when you contact us to schedule your appointment.
What do I need to know?
- Staff assistance in the Lab will be limited at this time. If you are unsure how a piece of equipment works, please check our website for helpful videos and documents. If you need more in-depth assistance, please let us know when scheduling your appointment so we can set aside extra time to train on you the required equipment.
- If you have never used the Imagine Lab, we highly suggest you make an appointment for a short tour of the Lab and check out what is available!
- You are responsible for the design of your projects. We are unable to make changes to your files or guarantee how your design will appear once completed.
- If you are planning to create a custom design for any of the machines, please work on your design in the computer lab or complete it at home. If you need to work on designing your project in the Imagine Lab, please schedule a separate appointment.
- If you do not have your design finished before your reserved time on a piece of equipment, there may not be enough time for you to finish your project.
- Most of the equipment requires specific materials and file types. Some supplies are available in the Lab for a small fee. Some supplies must be supplied by the user. See the list of available equipment below for complete details.
- You are able to make as many items as you are able in the time allotted. If you are using supplies purchased from the library (sublimation items, banner material, etc) please call ahead to make sure we have what you need in stock.
- If you need to save any files, you will need to bring your own flash drive or SD card.
- Payment is by cash or check only.
Large Format Vinyl Printer/Cutter
Blackout Yeti Professional USB Microphone
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
T-Shirts - If you wish to make a t-shirt in the Imagine Lab, check out the document at the bottom of the page.
Creativebug offers online video arts and crafts workshops and techniques. Learn how to paint, knit, crochet, sew, screen print, and more!